Volunteers at Tanager Place are vital members of a team, providing services that inspire, empower and heal children. We believe volunteers bring optimism and enthusiasm, create positive energy, and share diverse perspectives that lead to enhanced outcomes.
Your Dedication Is Our Strength
Volunteers at Tanager Place:
- Contribute in meaningful ways
- Reflect the diverse communities they serve
- Are valued for their unique abilities
- Are trained, mentored and supported in their work
- Have opportunity to develop their skills as community partners
- Are empowered to advocated for the well-being of children
Click the tabs below to learn more …
- Study Buddy: help our inpatient kiddos with school work and study skills
- Mentor: support and guide youth at the LGBTQ Youth Center with one on one companionship and facilitated group activities
- Group activities: organize special interest activities like scrap booking, arts and crafts, a running club, and photography; volunteer for one of our many year-round camp opportunities
- Adopt-a-cottage: offer support to the children who live on our campus by sharing special events and activities like birthday parties, holiday parties, and special events
- Service projects: keep our camp and campus looking great by organizing, cleaning, planting trees, weeding, painting, gardening, and other projects
- Clerical/Receptionist: assist in data entry, filing, and other office work; greet clients and families
- Special events: volunteer at one of our annual events like Summer Fest, Chili Cook-Off or the Gala
- Social media ambassador: like, follow us on Facebook … and share
- In Kind Donations: help our kids by holding a drive for necessities such as: New or gently-used children’s clothing, hats/mittens, toys, games, recreational items, blankets, toiletries, school supplies, art supplies, holiday gifts, and camp items
Study Buddy/Activity Assistant (Inpatient):
Be that open heart and extra hand working with children in our inpatient program. Assist with virtual learning during the school day, help with activities and homework in one of our classrooms or inpatient cottages.
- Day, evening and weekend hours available. Must be available for regular, consistent shifts (ex. 2-10 hours/week).
- Location: Main Campus, 2309 C St SW
- Very flexible scheduling! Several opportunities available including front desk reception, data entry, scanning paperwork, making copies and intake packets.
- Locations: Estle Center, 1030 5th Ave. SE, and Main Campus, 2309 C Street SW.
Extended Learning Center (ELC) – Inpatient Program:
- Assist in a classroom setting; Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Location: Main Campus, 2309 C Street SW
Activity Assistant for Autism Spectrum Disorder Social Skill Groups:
- Monday/Wednesday: 5-6 p.m. (2nd & 3rd grades); 6:30-8:30 p.m. (middle school)
- Tuesday/Thursday: 5-6 p.m. (4th & 5th grades); 6:30-8:30 p.m. (high school)
- Location: Estle Center, 1030 5th Ave SE
Thank you for your interest in Tanager Place. Please follow the steps below to begin volunteering.
We’ll review your application, and contact you to set up an interview to learn about your skills, interests, availability, and to determine the best fit for you.
If volunteering at Tanager Place is a great fit for you, we’ll have you complete an orientation to learn more about Tanager Place and the vital role of volunteers as part of the Tanager Team. After that you’ll meet your supervisor, who will train you on your specific position and be your go-to person while volunteering.
In line with your position and the schedule you work out with your supervisor, you’ll start making a difference in the lives of children and families in our community!
Our gratitude to the following groups and businesses who have gone above and beyond this past year:
- Access Systems
- AmeriCorps NCCC
- Collins Aerospace
- GreatAmerica Financial Services
- General Mills, Inc.
- General Mills Cedar Rapids Empowering Women
- Hope Lutheran Church
- Hughes Landscaping
- Iowa BIG
- Linn County Master Gardeners
- Michigan State University
- Raining Rose
- Samsung Employees
- Tanager Place Associates Board
- Thompson & Co Salon
- Van Meter, Inc
- Toyota Financial Services